Frequently asked questions about the CMA
Where do I go to learn more about the CMA exam?
The IMA has an extensive FAQ section on its website. Just look for the CMA section.
Who might I contact at KSU to learn more about the IMA and the CMA exam?
Lee Woodward, Professor of Accounting, can help answer your questions.
Where do I take the exam?
Exams are administered through the worldwide network of Prometric Testing Centers and are available in accordance with local customs. There are many locations throughout the U.S. and internationally.
To locate a test center, please visit www.prometric.com/ICMA.
When can I take the exam?
Exams are offered according to the following schedule:
January and February
May and June
September and October
To schedule exam appointments, visit www.prometric.com/ICMA or call (800) 479-6370. To ensure your first choice of date, time, and location, it is best to schedule your appointment at least four weeks in advance. All exam appointments must be scheduled at least 72 hours in advance of the exam date. Once you are registered, you must take the exam part during your assigned testing session. If for any reason you are unable to schedule an exam appointment during the assigned testing window, you will need to pay another registration fee. Appointments cannot be rescheduled to another testing window.
Do I have to take parts 1 and 2 in this order?No, you can take parts 1 and 2 in any order. You have the option of taking both together on the same day, although many members choose to separate their testing dates.
What are the fees involved in becoming a CMA?
For Professional Members:
CMA Entrance Fee (nonrefundable) - $250*
Exam Fee - $415 per part.
For Student/Academic Members:
CMA Entrance Fee (nonrefundable) - $188*
Exam Fee - $311 per part.
*IMA membership is additional and also required.
ICMA offers special rates for college students.
Is there a student scholarship for the CMA exam?Yes, stand out as you graduate with the CMA Scholarship, you can complete the CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) program at no cost. Take the exam while still in school and dazzle future employers with your management accounting skills.
Who is the CMA scholarship for?
- High-achieving students (undergrad through Ph.D.)
- Students who attend an accredited college or university in the U.S. or around the world
- 10 students per school per academic year can be nominated for a scholarship
- All students who are nominated by a professor will earn the scholarship
What is included in the CMA scholarship?
- Entrance fee to the CMA program
- Exam support package with retired exam questions and a glossary of terms
- Registration fees covering both parts of the exam (additional fees will apply for retakes)
- Wiley CMAexcel Online Test Bank access for both exam parts for up to two years (all regions, except China)
- Up to three years of IMA membership while pursuing the certification
Where is the scholarship application forms?
When are the scholarship applications due?IMA accepts applications year-round, with most scholarships awarded April through June. Students must activate their scholarship within two weeks of notification from IMA.
Why should you take the CMA exam while still in school?
- Students like you have demonstrated a high ability to succeed on the exam because much of the exam content is covered in coursework.
- You’re already in study mode and exam material is top of mind
- You can take both exam parts and submit your work experience later
- The amazing ROI of holding both CMA & CPA certifications
- CMAs between the ages of 20-29 can earn 37% more in total compensation than non-CMAs globally.*
*IMA’s 2021 Global Salary Survey