HLCP Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is this a course?

Yes, the Hughes Leadership and Career Program consists of three courses: BUSA 150, BUSA 3150, BUSA 4150


Q. Will it be on my transcript?

Yes, each course will be listed on your transcript. We also recommend you include this Hughes Leadership and Career Program on your resume.

Q. Will this affect my GPA?

This course will be graded as S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory). If you do not receive a grade of S, you will need to repeat the course. This will not affect your GPA.

Q. Do I start these courses when I have reached 30 credits?

You can register for the first course, BUSA 2150, Discovering My Major and Career, as soon as you complete ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102 or its equivalent. BUSA 2150 is required for admission to the Coles Undergraduate Professional Program, so we encourage you to complete it as soon as possible.

Q. Will this prolong my graduation date?

You should take each of these courses with your other course load, so no additional terms should be needed.

Q. How often will this class meet?

The course is self-paced, with assignment submission deadlines. As you work through the material online, you will submit assignments to your coach. You will schedule one on one meetings with your coach. There are no formal class meetings when the entire class will meet together.

Each of the three courses will be offered every semester.

Q. Do I have to come to campus?

Each course is self-paced within a semester. The content and assignments are listed in D2L and can be completed and submitted online. You will need to meet with your career coach to review your assignments. We prefer a face to face meeting, so you and your coach will get to know each other. However, you can request a Skype meeting if necessary.

Q. Will there be a coach in my specific Major?

There will be a coach for each area of study in the Coles College of Business

Q. Do I have to pay for this?

This program is being offered to prepare you for your career of choice. Each course is zero credit hours, so there is no tuition or additional student fees associated with these courses. Each course will have required readings and resources you will need to purchase. These items will be listed on the syllabus and can be purchased at the KSU Bookstore.

Please note, if you are ONLY taking one of these courses in a semester, and no other courses, the university fees will apply.

Q. Approximately how much are books and supplies per course?

At this time, we estimate the cost of all resources will be under $50 per course. BUSA 3150 & 4150 will be offered for the first time in 2015. At that time we will have a more accurate cost estimate.

Q. How will this affect the number of withdrawals I am allowed?

If you withdraw from this course, it will be treated like a withdrawal from any other course. This withdrawal will count towards the maximum number of withdrawals you are allowed by KSU in your undergraduate program.

Q. If I am a transfer student will I have to start from the beginning?

Yes. The first course is a requirement for admission to the Coles Undergraduate Professional Program, and all three courses are required for graduation with a B.B.A. degree. This program works like any other graduation requirement.

Q. How do I get a Closed Class Override?

Students must complete the form below for assistance with closed course overrides for BUSA 2150.

The link below is for requesting a closed course override for courses in the Hughes Leadership and Career Program:

BUSA 2150: Discovering My Major and Career

BUSA 3150: Developing My Career Essentials and  BUSA 4150: Driving My Success - Contact Faculty Member Directly

Please note, all prerequisite and repeat class overrides are handled by the Coles Advising Office (4th floor Burruss Building).

HLCP Courses

View your Sophomore, Junior and Senior courses for HLCP.

One-on-One Coaching

Learn more about our experienced coaches for your major.

Contact Us

Visit the Hughes Leadership and Career Program Office, located in BB 431 or call 470-578-2301.